Filed under: Time Killer
Inspired by Cindylu’s 100 facts, I decided to do my own list of facts that you may or may not know about Ms. Adoyzie.
1. Harriet Tubman and Martin Luther King Jr. made me this way.
2. Being a foley artist is a dream job.
3. My Macbook is named Xiao Zhu (“Little Pig” in madarin Chinese).
4. Before Xiao Zhu, she was named Zie Zie but then her hard drive imploded while I was in China and I figured that new hard drive means new soul.
5. Enjoy cracking my toe knuckles.
6. First learned to sew by making skanky Kelly Bundy-esque dresses for my Barbie dolls.
7. Wore braces and began wearing eyeglasses in junior high. Those were some good years.
8. Most delicious garden burger I’ve ever eaten was in Yangshuo, Guangxi, PRC.
9. My non-writing-pseudonym official name is only six letters long.
10. Favorite Xmas gifts of all-time: long-reach stapler (from my brother, Albert) and headlamp (from Gus y Marah).
11. My Gmail is always open.
12. Childhood TV heroes: Punky Brewster, Pipi Longstocking & Rainbow Brite.
13. Cursed at my parents once: during a fight over the phone I said “Shit” to my moms.
14. Still have my first guitar, a classical acoustic Yamaha I received for my 15th birthday.
15. Aspire to be the non-gay, Asian-American David Sedaris.
16. Favorite PBS program: Frontline.
17. Favorite PBS programs of my childhood: Mister Rogers, Ghostwriter and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
18. Inexplicably addicted to celebrity gossip.
19. Earned a BA in Journalism/Photojournalism with a minor in Women’s Studies.
20. Used to be allergic to watermelon.
21. Love road trips.
22. Favorite Batman: Adam West.
23. Conflicted about 80′s fashion and it’s present influence.
24. White is my bad luck color (according to a fortune teller my folks went to see when I was a kid).
25. In the past three years, I haven’t earned enough money to have to file taxes.
26. Love free stuff (see #25).
27. Never been dumped.
28. Falls in love easily.
29. Presently obsessed with designing dresses for my Bangladeshi tailor, Shamol, to put together.
30. Spend way too much time perusing fashion instead of lesson planning.
31. Dad threatened to disown me twice.
32. Used to hate running, thought it was completely pointless.
33. It took three years of on/off running to get me to the physical and mental point where I can consistently jog for 30-40 minutes straight.
34. Most I’ve ever paid for shoes: $100 for my first pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS running shoes for my over-pronating (now I pay half that on eBay).
35. Second most expensive pair of shoes I own: $2 cowboy boots I thrifted but cost $30 to re-sole.
36. The majority of my wardrobe (excluding Bangladeshi) was thrifted.
37. Owned my first pair of jeans in sixth grade (purchased in Chinatown).
38. Didn’t celebrate Xmas until I was 11 or 12.
39. Am fascinated by the notion that I may share ancestral lineage with designers Derek Lam and Phillip Lim.
40. Love writing with drawing pencils.
41. Won first place at my university’s research symposium with my academic poster presentation entitled, “Pixelated Princesses and Virtual Vixens: The Representation of Women in Video Games.”
42. Partially supported myself throughout uni by selling vintage clothes on eBay.
43. Love dusk, hate dawn.
44. Favorite mom-cooked meal: catfish soup, soy sauce chicken drumettes and mini-wings with aside of fresh cilantro.
45. Began drinking coffee (always black) daily at 26.
46. Prefer Coke over Pepsi.
47. Asthmatic since birth.
48. Named after a president’s daughter, Jimmy Carter’s Amy.
49. Not really scared of being 30. Really.
50. Bands I’ve been in: The Insecures, The Itchys, Assisted Living Dracula, The Revenge Band, Bananarchy, The Fuck You Charlies, China Loca.
51. Been writing zines since i was 15-years-old.
52. Most bizarre childhood game: Parking lot. I made a couple dozen parking lot stubs with Crayola markers, the type that pop out of white boxes before the wooden barrier is raised in garages. I sat in a red wagon as my brothers pedaled their big wheels in and out of our “parking lot” and I’d hole-punch the sub each time.
53. First car: 1985 Isuzu I-Mark.
54. Favorite band in teenage years: The Mr. T Experience.
55. Presently seeking a vintage Dooney & Bourke bag.
56. Believe in art for art’s sake.
57. First job: back-end at Sunny Cleaners.
58. Retail jobs: Toys R Us, Wound & Wound (wind up toy store on Universal City Walk), Value Village.
59. Most fun job: Green Noise Records.
60. Most well-paying job: New Media Associate at KCET.
61. Haven’t had proper medical insurance since mid-2005.
62. Refer to number two as having to “make poop.”
63. Never been to Canada.
64. Really enjoying scooping wax out of my ears.
65. Prefer peanut M&Ms over plains.
66. Favorite beer: Hamm’s.
67. Didn’t start using soap on a regular basis until I began living in developing countries like China and Bangladesh.
68. My most comfortable article of clothing presently: Razorcake hoodie.
69. Notorious late-night snacker.
70. Will only drink the tangerine flavor of Emergen-C.
71. Really bad at disguising dissatisfaction and general uneasiness.
72. Not a good euphemizer when it matters.
73. Began experiencing PMS when I was 24.
74. Night showerer.
75. Love dried fruits.
76. Ate my first guava a few weeks ago.
77. Used to think that I had an older sister who committed suicide as a child by putting herself through the dryer.
78. In anticipation of returning to the glory that is America, I occasionally peruse the online personals of big city’s alternative weeklies. For shame.
79. Have purchased two pairs of shoes off eBay since living in Bangladesh. They were shipped directly to my Portland address waiting for me to do more of #78, except in real life.
80. ‘Where I’m from and can always return to’ tattoos: parent’s house key and a bundle of basil and cilantro.
81. Bikes’ names: Basil and Cilantro.
82. Cliched young writer dream job: The New Yorker.
83. Most absurd tattoo: pitchfork up my asscrack.
84. I’m old enough to remember when the internet “started.”
85. I’m old.
86. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever get settled and stable enough to adopt children.
87. Etc life goals: to be featured on This American Life and be an animated character on The Simpsons.
88. Sometimes succumb to self-pity, but ultimately I’m able to lift myself out of it by recognizing how blessed I am.
89. Sometimes when you’re speaking and you’re boring me with what you’re saying, I might say, “I’m totally not interested in what you’re talking about. Sorry.”
90. Sometimes when you’re speaking and you’re boring me with what you’re saying, I might nod and smile and pretend like I’m listening as my mind wanders about color combinations or a photograph I took a few months ago.
91. Sometimes when you’re speaking and you’re boring me with what you’re saying, I might try really hard to refocus and listen. Because adults do that right? And I’m an adult. Sort of.
92. One day I want to write a book about my family. A possible title: Lam Sandwich.
93. Haven’t had good sleep in months.
94. Known my best friend since 1996.
95. Can’t wait to return to a place where I can wear short hem lines and 3-inch heels!
96. Virgo monkey.
97. Pathologically behind deadline.
98. Huge crush on BJ Novak.
99. Concerned about the American economy!
100. It took me a couple weeks to come up with this list.
5 Comments so far
Leave a comment